Login or Register   |   About Us   |   Contact Us
The Education Tax Refund has been replaced with the new School Kids Bonus.

If you would like to know more information about claiming the School Kids Bonus click here.

The Education Tax Refund can only be claimed via your tax return for the years 2010-11 and earlier.

What is the Education Tax Refund and how do I claim it?

The Education Tax Refund (ETR) helps eligible families and independent students meet the cost of primary and secondary school education.

The ETR can be claimed for education expenses you incur while your child attends primary or secondary school.

Families and approved care organisations can claim up to 50% of their eligible educational expenses if either of the following apply:

  • they were entitled to receive Family tax benefit (FTB) Part A for the child
  • a payment was made for the child that stopped them from receiving FTB Part A for that child.
  • Independent students may also be eligible to claim the ETR.

For the period 1 July 2010 to 30 June 2011, you can claim up to:

$794 for each eligible child in primary school – that is, a refund of $397

$1,588 for each eligible child in secondary school – that is, a refund of $794

The educational tax refund can be claimed as part of your tax return for the 2010 & 2011 financial years. If you have missed a claim, Ask Us Tax can help amend your prior year tax return Contact us here for further information on tax return amendments.

If you would like to calculate your education tax refund click here https://expertsystems.ato.gov.au/scripts/net/ETR/scIntroduction.aspx?PID=68